As Summer Approaches, Be Aware Near Garbage Trucks, Service Vehicles
Waste Management offers safety tips for keeping safe around service vehicles this summer
Panama City, FL.— (May 23, 2022) — Waste Management encourages residents to review summer safety tips with their children regarding waste collection trucks now that local schools are on summer break. Safety precautions are important now more than ever when children are spending the most time outside.
“WM cares about the residents and neighbors in the areas we serve, and their safety is our top priority,” said Tony Franco, Waste Management Gulf Coast Area Safety Director. “Now that children are out of school, we want to ensure their curiosity or excitement surrounding garbage trucks does not lead to harm. WM highly recommends that parents or adult guardians accompany small children who want to wave or look at the garbage truck.”
SUMMER SAFETY TIPS
- Keep at least 15 feet from the truck. Never climb on the truck. Do not play or stand in or around waste and recycling bins or cans, since you may not know when the truck is coming to empty them.
- Learn the schedule of when service vehicles are in the area. Waste and recycling trucks, postal vehicles and other package delivery services keep regular schedules within each neighborhood.
- It takes service vehicles about twice as long to stop as a passenger car, so never cut in front of or stop suddenly in front of one. Always keep a safe distance from a truck.
- Do not allow children to help with loading any materials into the truck and do not stand behind the truck while it is being loaded. Be cautious of debris that may be dislodged during compacting.
- Vehicles like Waste Management trucks make frequent stops and often back up, so don’t follow the truck closely while walking, running, biking, skating, or driving. Stay alert and listen for the back-up alarm with “beep-beep-beep” sounds.
- There are several areas where the visibility can be restricted for the driver. If you cannot see the driver’s eyes, they may not see you.
- Every Waste Management truck is equipped with a back-up alarm. Whether you are walking or driving near one of our trucks, if you hear this sound or see the white back-up lights, be sure to move out of the way of the truck.
ABOUT WASTE MANAGEMENT
Waste Management, based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also a leading developer, operator and owner of landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America. To learn more information about Waste Management visit www.wm.com or www.thinkgreen.com.